Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Red Lentil Soup with Curry, Sweet Potatoes and Greens

Lentils are just about the most amazing legume! Packed with protein, fiber, iron, vitamins and even been know to lower blood sugar levels . Not to mention easy to cook (no soaking needed!), and lends itself to so many flavors. With the sudden chilly change in late-spring weather, I felt the need to make a heaping pot of lentil soup and try swiss chard for the first time. As a long time kale lover, I felt compelled to try its cousin, chard. I checked out my new cookbooks until I came to the perfect recipe in my new cookbook, "Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons," by Nava Atlas. As usual, I took the original recipe and tweaked it a bit until I came out with a decent pot of soup. Not my favorite, but will most likely be a work in progress as I make it over and over again.



 Ingredients:
2 tablespoons safflower oil, coconut oil, or other high heat oil (olive oil scorches under heat and should never be used for cooking).
1 medium chopped red onion (I used my progressive vegetable chopper to put soup together in a snap)
2-4 cloves of garlic, depending on your preference. I used 2 XL cloves of elephant garlic.
8 cups of water or low sodium vegetable stock (I used water plus 2 tablespoons of Better than Vegetable Stock)
2 cups of dried red lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
2-3 teaspoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala (or alternatively 1/2 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon)
1 bunch (about 3 large leaves) of swiss chard, ribs removed, rinsed and sliced
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
optional: 4 peeled and sliced carrots
Juice of lemon and/or lime (I used both)



1. Heat oil in large soup pot or cast iron casserole pot
2. Add onion and garlic and sautee on medium until onion is soft and golden, about 10 minutes
3. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, and seasoning and turn to coat.
4. Add water with bouillon or vegetable stock, lentils, and ginger.
5. Bring to simmer, cover and cook on low for about 20 minutes until lentils are can be smashed and sweet potatoes and carrots are done.
6. Add washed, sliced chard and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add spinach and cook another 5 minutes. Add lime and/or lemon to taste. I used about one good squirt from an organic lemon and lime bottles.
8. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours on the stove, off the heat. As with most soups, it will taste better after allowing it to rest and have all the flavors meld together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Majula's "Morgenduft" kit.