Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gluten Free and VEGAN Rhubarb Blackberry Cobbler

My first experience with rhubarb was out of this world.  Well, technically, out of this country. While living as an exchange student in Germany, my family shared many dishes right out of their own back yard garden. Feeling inspired by the lovely weather we had last week, I planted my own garden in the back yard and one of the first plants I planted into my garden box was a small rhubarb plant with two tiny stalks. Sadly, I will have to wait for garden fresh rhubarb, but in the meantime, I found some lovely organic rhubarb at our local New Season's Market along with a recipe for gluten-free AND vegan crisp! I figured I'd better know how to cook it now before my rhubarb is large enough to harvest.

Ingredients:

2 pounds of rhubarb stalks
1 pint of blackberries
1/2 cup of demerara  or brown sugar (original recipe called for 1 cup, it felt pretty sweet at 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup of white sugar
3/4 cup of gluten free oats
1/2 cup of gluten free all purpose baking mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup or 1 stick of vegan butter (I always use Natural Balance Buttery Sticks)


1. Preheat oven to 350*F
2. Lightly oil deep pie pan, deep 8 inch square pan or small cast iron casserole dish. Must be deep! There is a lot of fruit and gets bubbly! I used a  cast iron casserole dish.
3.  Chop rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and toss into dish along with blackberries.
4. In a separate bowl, add sugars, flour, oats, and salt. Stir to mix.
5. Cut butter into small cubes and add to dry mix. Use hands to mix well into dry, crumbly mix.
6. Refridgerate mixture for at least 10-15 minutes before using.
7. Crumble mixture on top of rhubarb/blackberry mixture evenly.
8. Place in oven, uncovered, for 1 hour. Remove when top is lightly browned and fruit is bubbling around the side. Serve warm alone, or with your favorite vegan ice cream! My favorite just happens to be So Delicious Vanilla flavored coconut ice cream! I have to admit, I have broken down and had real ice cream a few time since going vegan. That being said, I think the coconut ice cream is STILL better than the real stuff and sweetened only with agave and made with good-for-you coconut milk. Hard to beat.

I DARE you to actually have this sitting around in your house for longer than an hour! It will be gone before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Majula's "Morgenduft" kit.