Sunday, January 24, 2010

Welcome to Adventures in Veganism!

After some thought, I decided to stop bombarding my fellow facebookers about my descriptions of recipes that I made, with providing any way to allow people to read, see, and try the recipes I make.

While this is not the first blog I have ever created, this my first personal non-work related blog.  Anywho, I have been vegetarian/vegan since July 2008. Before going vegan, I was sick ALL THE TIME! Seriously. All the time. I was always in a state of getting sick, being sick, and recovering from being sick. I had a standing unlimited refill prescription for antibiotics because every time I got sick, I would end up with severe bronchitis, leaving me short of breathe, coughing till I vomited or blackout. Gross, I know, but true. After going through this for over 5 years,  I knew something needed to change. Dr.s had no answers, nor seemed to care. I was seemingly healthy. In between bouts of illness, I worked out, maintained a healthy weight, and ate a "normal" meat eating diet. On a whim, I picked up a book called "Skinny Bitch" and quickly read through the book on a trip to Las Vegas. On the flight out, I vowed to start my vegan lifestyle the minute I got home. And so it began!

I wouldn't say it was an easy transition for myself, and inevitably, my husband, but the results were instant! I felt energized, healthier, slept better and have only been sick about 2 times in the past 1.5 years since going vegan. During my initial transition phase, I "prepared" most meat replacers and frozen vegan food items, still sorely lacking in veggies. I was overwhelmed! What in the heck am I going to eat! Soy chicken nuggets and Boca burgers (vegan ones) lost their magic after about 2 weeks. I wouldn't say it was until the last 6 months, that I finally discovered my cooking niche! Whole food cooking! Instead of trying to veganise popular meat containing recipes, I need to think outside the box and utilize a wide variety of fruits, veggies, pseudo grains, and beans to create healthier and tastier meals.

So, here is what I have found! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Majula's "Morgenduft" kit.